Thursday, September 18, 2014

HOW I AM GOING TO STOP HATING WINTER



So, today as I am writing this, I look outside my window and I see what I wish I could say was an anomaly or a hallucination - snow, on September 8th! But living here in Edmonton, Alberta, as many of you know, means that quick changing weather and long, drawn out winters are always a possibility, if not the norm. Thankfully, we do avoid many of the major weather calamities that others face - hurricanes, earthquakes and tsunamis, winter brings with it a myriad of challenges:  Seasonal Affective Disorder, winter doldrums, weight gain, lethargy, difficult commutes and Christmas.


FROM SURVIVE TO THRIVE

So, it is with this perspective and a desire to not just survive, but thrive during this season, that I want to offer this blog, How can we weather the winter?  We can spend as many as five to six months in winter-like conditions, even when the calendar tries to convince us that it is still Autumn. Learning how to maintain or even improve physical, mental and emotional well-being during this time is a worthwhile endeavor. I know that picking and sticking to activities that support your well-being, a positive feeling and move you in the direction you want to go, is fundamental to living a life you enjoy and are proud of. This is very true in regards to creating your winter plan. I believe it is important to begin creating and implementing this plan, well before you are knee deep in Netflix, 8 hours a day of House of Cards and have secretly convinced yourself that Smarties count as a source of antioxidants (experts did say, eating bright colors is beneficial?!) I am joining you in this winter plan,  as winter has never been a pleasant time for me. I have gotten slightly better at it, but without a plan, I can easily be a grumbling, irritated mess during the winter months. I am committed to changing that and making this my best winter yet. So, let's do it...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." ~  Lewis Carol

LIVE LIKE A DANE

In order to weather this winter like a snow-woman and a bona fide arctic explorer, I am going to borrow an idea from the Danes, called Hygge, (pronounced like 'hooga'). Never heard of it? Well, unless you have been to Denmark or count a Dane as a friend, then this concept might be new to you. Hygge is tough to translate into English, but roughly means coziness, comfort and camaraderie. Hygge is a Danish cultural concept and practice that is present all year round, however it is on fine display during the winter months, when it is needed most. I have long been fascinated by the reports that the Danish people’s Gross National Happiness is one of the highest in the world, even through the cold, dark months of winter. A climate and length of time, similar to what we experience here, in this part of Canada. Now, the grass is always greener aside, I think there is something to be learned here. I love, love being Canadian and am proud to live here and even a little haughty about our resilience to get up and go, even in -32 C and a raging white-out! I would just like to do it with a less grin and bear it, and with a little more ease. So read on...
"Shut the door, not that it lets in the cold, but that it lets out the coziness."

 ~ Mark Twain

LET THERE BE LIGHT
 

Hygge is a mindfulness and presence and staying in the moment; tuning into what makes each moment feel alive and special. Examples of Hygge include: sitting by a fireplace engaged in conversation with a friend, listening to your favorite music while wrapped in a soft blanket or enjoying a meal with your loved ones. It is celebrating the everyday small rituals and habits that evoke comfort, peace and connection. When I was researching this idea, I noticed a number of references to candles and fireplaces and light, used to create heat and a mood. Hygge is the calm to chaos, the warmth to the dark, the peace to the stress and the connection to the isolation. It is an honest, moment to moment choice to create sanctuary, despite what forces and storms rage around us. A little light in the darkness and a feeling of warmth – coincidence? I think not.
“I will love the light for it shows me the 
way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.” ~ Og Mandino

 
HOW TO HYGGE

Be deliberate. Create a list of what actives bring you comfort and warmth. Start the list now and create a plan. What makes you feel cozy, warm and connected?

Have something to look forward to. Each day -  A small ritual: bubble bath, lighting a candle, reading a book by the fireplace. Each week: a class, a get together, a night out. Each month: a celebration, a concert, a party.

Involve others.  Isolation is a fundamental challenge with winter as we shut in and hibernate. Solitude can also be Hygge, but disappearing until spring is not!
 
Emulate others. Know a winter lover? Someone who likes and does well in winter? Join them in their activities, adopt their attitude and try and see it through their eyes. Granted, I think they are a little crazy, but a least they are a happy, crazy! 
 
Talk less about the awfulness of winter. Think more about the gratitude for heat (think pioneers), food (again, pioneers) and phones (I’m just saying…). We are abundantly prepared to thrive in winter.

Take care of your health. Talk to your Naturopath or Doctor about Vitamin D, boost your immunity and well-being with your diet, supplements, meditation and exercise. Put it to practice now!
 
Re-evaluate Christmas. No really re-evaluate what you want that time of the year to feel like, how you want it to be, what is really important to you. Can you minimize, slow-down, cancel? What do you need to do to eliminate all the expectations around this notoriously stressful time of the year? Let’s stop the madness!
Honor the resilience. There is something to be said for the resilience and perseverance it takes to drag ourselves out of bed in the dark, dark morning, face two feet of snow on our car, (oh ya, wearing only a sweater and jeans), drive on slippery streets, shovel our walk, and on and on -  but somehow we do it and life goes on and like it or not, we are a resilient bunch of buggers. Claim it.

"Winter is not a season, it’s an occupation." ~Sinclair Lewis









 






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 


 





No comments: